WHAT IF YOU FIND A NEEDLE OUTSIDE OF OUR HOTLINE HOURS OF OPERATION?
I am not comfortable picking it up, or I am unequipped to pick it up, but I want Lethbridge to be clean and safe:
- Mark the location of the needle with a safe object
- Leave a message on the needle hotline number (include location, landmark, and your name/number)
- ARCHES staff will respond as soon as we are available
I am willing and equipped to pick up the needle:
- You will require gloves, tongs or pliers, and a hard sharps container (ex. a strong plastic bottle such as a bleach container or a plastic jar with a lid).
- Put on latex, rubber or leather gloves. Use tongs or pliers to carefully pick up the needle with the tip pointed away from you.
- Make sure the sharps container (strong plastic bottle, etc.) is on a stable surface (do not hold it while putting the needle inside) and put the needle, tip down, into the container and close the lid.
- DO NOT place the container in garbage.
- Call the ARCHES Needle Pickup Hotline at 403-332-0722.
- When you’re finished, wash your hands, and/or use hand sanitizer.
WHAT IF YOU ARE POKED BY A NEEDLE?
- Let the wound bleed as much as possible
- Flush the area with flowing water
- Wash the wound well with soap and warm water
- Call Health Link Alberta at 811 or seek medical attention for an assessment of the risk of infection and appropriate treatment
960 19 St S, Lethbridge, AB T1J 1W5
Your health care provider will need to know:
- Was there blood on the needle tip?
- Was there any liquid inside the syringe? If so what color?
- Where did the incident happen?
- Did the needle look clean or dirty?
- Where on your body did you get poked?
- Did any substance get injected into you, or was it just a poke?
WHERE ARE NEEDLE DROP BOXES FOUND?
Needle Disposal Boxes are painted yellow and have a single round opening on the side for the collecting of used needles.